"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together." “When I hear people say politics and religion don't mix, I wonder what Bible they are reading.” (Archbishop Desmond Tutu)

"And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6.8

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4.19

"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2.12



Sunday, December 11, 2011

Advent stuff

At the knowledge college staff have been buying into the idea of not sending each other Christmas cards, but contributing towards charity instead. That's a great idea. What's not so great was the flurry of internal e-mails that came round explaining that, and wishing everyone a merry Christmas. On December 8th.

REPLY ALL. What's with all the Christmas stuff? It's Advent. Stop it at once.

"What?"
"What?"
"What?"
"What?"
"What?"
"Eh?"
"?"
"What are you on about?"

--------

"When are you preaching next?"

Next week as it happens.

"Good, I've got my new hearing-aids.

Great. Were they expensive?

"PARDON?"

-------

We arrived home, my beloved and I, from our usual Saturday chores/date. She has been a bit fractious recently as she's been stalking something on the INTERNET and it's not worked out.

"Now I know what Advent is really all about. Waiting and being disappointed."

The postman's been. Nothing for us.

"But we must be the most important - if not the mpost popular - family in the street."

--------------

For those following with bated breath the story of my form's party, I am now £30 down on the cost of crisps, pop and chocolate mini-rolls.

"I don't see why I should contribute. I don't want to come anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment