"My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together." “When I hear people say politics and religion don't mix, I wonder what Bible they are reading.” (Archbishop Desmond Tutu)

"And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6.8

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." Philippians 4.19

"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling." Philippians 2.12



Thursday, March 3, 2011

Revision


Well, here at the knowledge college public exams are on the horizon. I had a Yr 11 class yesterday and we had the usual complaints about having to write things down. I can't begin to say how frustrating it is to listen to 16 yr olds, on the verge of leaving school, moaning on about having to write.

Well, it's not as if we're going to look at our books is it?

Can I remind you of the concept of revision?

I'm not going to revise. (This from Georgina, my own Vicky Pollard.)

WHAT? The most important year of your life - the most important exams you'll ever take (Or in your case fail) and you're not going to revise?

Not for this! I don't need this subject.

You need all your subjects and given your grade profile Lady, you need all the help you can get.

There is, if it were not a silent activity, the sound of sulking as Georgina digests this slight to her academic prowess. It is accompanied by sniggers from some of the others.

Ha. That ripped you girl.

That evening I gave some thought to how I might encourage revision. I decided on subliminal advertising. I found the sign generator website and happily edited messages about revision into street signs and cell-phone messages to include in my power-point presentations. My personal favourite is a picture of mystical hands with the legend GOD INSISTS THAT YOU REVISE FOR RELIGIOUS STUDIES. I'm sure he does. Above is one I felt, on reflection, I could not use.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, you would have probably received more results with the butt message. Caught their attention for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it would make me sit up and take notice.

    ReplyDelete